- Better Choice
- Luderick stocks are not considered overfished.
- Nets used to catch luderick have a low impact on marine habitats and threatened species.
- The stock status of some fish caught in these fisheries are unknown, but none appear to be at risk from fishing.
- NSW Estuary General Fishery
- NSW Ocean Haul Fishery (~300t 2008-09)
Luderick is caught using a variety of haul and mesh nets in estuaries and coastal waters. These nets have a low impact on marine habitats and threatened species. A number of other fish species are caught alongside luderick, including bream and sea mullet. While the stock status of other fish caught in this mixed fishery is not clear, none of them appear to be at risk from fishing.
Luderick stocks appear stable, based on historical catch records. Luderick is a key target species for recreational fishers, with estimated recreational take possibly greater than the commercial catch.